The First Step
Any 501 (c) 3 organization that meets the guideline requirements and is interested in submitting a proposal should first fax or e-mail a 1-2 page summary of your request.
It should include organization background, what you do, what your request is for and the amount of your request.
The board will review this letter and inform the organization whether or not we are interested in a full proposal.
This process usually takes about 2 weeks.
Summaries can be emailed to: or faxed to (609) 924-2714
Submitting A Proposal
Once you get approval from us to submit a proposal, please be sure it includes all of the information below.
- Name, address, phone and fax number of the organization and the contact person.
- A one-page summary of the proposal that describes the organization, the need for the project and funds, budget requirements, and the amount of support requested from The Karma Foundation.
- Significance of the grant. Who will it impact? Is there a documented community need?
- What are the goals the grant is expected to accomplish?
- Provide a brief history of the accomplishments of the organization and explain why it is well suited to address the stated need?
- Name and qualifications of the project's administrator
- Budget: (a) Prior year's actual budget showing expenses and specific sources of income, (b) A one-page line-item budget for the year in which the grant is being requested. (c) If the funds are being requested for a project, a line item budget for the project. (d) Most recent form 990.
- Does the organization have an endowment? Annual Income? Include the most recent balance sheet and detailed income and expense statements. Does the organization have debt?
- What other funding sources are being sought? Include internal funding and how the project will be sustained when the foundation's funding has ended.
- What funds have already been received or committed? How much? From whom?
- The organization's annual report and the most recent printed informational material available.
- Names and affiliations of the Board of Directors. Amount; if any, of financial support the Directors contribute to the organization.
- How will the project be evaluated? Is there a plan for disseminating the results of the project?
The success of a fundraising campaign should not hinge on the Foundation's participation. Please describe what you will do if your fundraising is not totally successful. What part of the project will you proceed with? Why?
Please provide only one copy of the following:
- The organization's IRS 501(C)3 tax-exemption letter
- Statement letter that the grantseeker will submit report showing how funds were spent, that the funds were spent for the purpose for which the grant is sought and the status or result of the project.
If additional information is required because the original proposal is incomplete, the proposal may take an extra 60 days for review and determination.
Please send all proposals to:
Dina K. Elkins
The Karma Foundation
140 Arreton Road
Princeton, NJ 08540